Saturday 2 February 2013

Baking Break

I don't know about any of you, but this was a tough week! I work at the Community Foundation of Ottawa, a fantastic organization which helps to fund charitable activities in Ottawa. I specifically work on the Grants and Community Initiatives team and this week we had an important grant deadline. On top of a crazy week, unfortunately I injured my back, missing two days of work. Once I returned back to work, it was extremely busy and I was so happy for 5:00 pm on  Friday to come! Because of my sore back, I was pretty useless at home and relied on my fabulous boyfriend to take care of most meals - except for the delicious dinner of baked enchiladas and Spanish rice that Alex generously cooked for us. Finally, Saturday morning arrived and after a good night's sleep and my back feeling a bit better, I was ready tackle some house work. With that done, I decided I would take a baking break and make a treat for the guy who took care of me all week. Something sweet, salty and comforting. I decided on Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies. They turned out delicious! I can't wait for him to get home to try them! And an added bonus, our clean apartment also smells of heavenly baked goods!

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies


Brownie Batter

8 tablespoons of butter
6 ounces of bittersweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking power

Peanut Butter Swirl

4 tablespoons melted butter
3/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat your oven to 325 Fahrenheit. In an 8 inch by 8 inch square baking pan, place parchment paper in the bottom, leaving extra on the sides to lift the brownies out of the pan. Butter the parchment paper for even easier removal. Set to the side.

For the brownie batter, in a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate. Take off the heat and let cool slightly. Add the sugar and whisk until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time and whisk until smooth, then add the vanilla. In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the wet and dry ingredients together and mix until the batter is smooth. For the peanut butter swirl, melt the butter and add it to the peanut butter, powdered sugar and salt. Mix until smooth.

Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Dollop the peanut butter mixture in the brownie batter and swirl with a knife. Bake the brownies in the oven for 30 minutes or until you are able to test the centre of the brownies with a knife, and it comes out clean. Let the brownies cool  in the baking pan. Once cool, remove the brownies and slice until squares. It will be so very tempting to take the brownies out of the pan when they are warm, but you will risk them falling apart.

Enjoy with a big glass of milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment